The FAS Planning group provides space planning services for the FAS academic divisions (Arts and Humanities, Sciences, Social Sciences) as well as the FAS administration, Harvard College, and Harvard College Library. Planning staff participate in a range of activities from campus and space planning, to program development, to detailed space use data management and reporting. We work closely with our colleagues within OPRP as well as within the central administration to generate shared institutional knowledge as the basis for effective stewardship of the university’s physical resources.
Our activities can be summarized as follows:
- Mediate solutions to space issues and develop space use strategies and guidelines.
- Develop facilities programs for new construction and renovations in support of FAS and University priorities, including the accommodation of new faculty appointments.
- Develop and maintain facilities management tools to insure the effective allocation of space resources in line with FAS and Divisional priorities.
- Conduct planning and feasibility studies to evaluate possible scenarios to address facilities needs.
- Match functions to appropriate existing space and, in collaboration with Capital Project Management and Campus Design & Planning, insure that new space created meets the programmatic needs of the building users and contributes to the overall campus environment.